July 30, 2012 4:00 AM by Smash
Goalball baby! So this is a sport for blind people where you roll a ball and try to score, while the other team defends by flopping on the floor. Apparently it has to be played in silence, or little noise. Thanks to Wikipedia, here are some of the rules:
- A team taking more than ten seconds to throw the ball
- A player throwing a ball a third time consecutively
- Illegal Defence – defending a ball while out of your team area
- Short ball/high ball/long ball – ball does not land correctly in opponent’s court
- Touching eyeshades
- Causing undue delay to the game – unnecessary eye shade checks, etc.
- Unsportsmanlike conduct
- Excessive noise
- Illegal coaching – coaching from the bench during play or after an official has said “Quiet please” with intentions of continuing or starting play. New rules in effect as of 2006 allow coaching from the bench during an “official timeout” in the United States, to comply with more of IBSAs rules.
Give me a blindfold and get me out there! Seriously though, how tough can this be? You hear the ball start rolling and you hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. You think you can put some spin on the ball? Are there studs who can throw Verlander type balls? I need answers.
PS – the players laying down reminds me of Jake Sully in Avatar when he gets pulled out of the machine, and him and Sigourney Weaver go for the big Goalball save.